The following information was contributed by one of our customers who was able to run BCWedge as a service under Windows NT/2000.
A utility called srvany.exe that comes along with the Windows NT Resource Kit is used to install BC-Wedge as a NT Service with the following benefits.
- When applications run as a service, they are not closed during logoff so users do not need to start them each time they log on, nor can they kill them if the services control has been restricted to the users.
- Server applications can service requests even when no user is logged on.
- Applications can run and perform tasks specific to a logon account that is different from the user who is currently logged on.
- The wedge process will not be visible in the taskbar or system-tray, so users cannot make modifications.
Create a directory c:\service and copy the following files in it.
If you do not have the Instsrv.exe and Srvany.exe files, click here to download them in a self extracting ZIP file.
Running BC-Wedge As A Service
Start BC-Wedge manually, configure it for the right COM port and make other necessary modifications to the software, like Beep PC On Good Read or Postamble Keystroke(s).
Do NOT mark the checkbox Load With Windows At Startup, otherwise BC-Wedge tries to load itself again with every next logon.
Important: After configuration, minimize BC-Wedge to the taskbar and keep it there untill the next shutdown or reboot. This minimized state is stored in the registry, so the next time it will start, it is minimized as well.
Click on Start > Run and type:
Instsrv Wedge C:\Service\Srvany.exe
(Where "Wedge" will be the name of the Service).
- Click Services in Control Panel, (under Administritive Tools in Windows 2000). Click on the service "Wedge" and then click Startup to display the startup dialog box. There click Automatic. In the Logon On as... box, choose Local System Account. Mark the checkbox: Allow service to interact with desktop.
- Start Registry Editor using Regedit.
Add a new subkey called Parameters in the following registry location:
In the new Parameters subkey create the following String Entry (REG_SZ) with its value:
Application Type:REG_SZ Value: "C:\Program files\Bc-wedge\Bc-wedge.exe"
Start the newly created service manually, or boot the o/s to activate the changes.
Note: Due to unknown reasons at this time, it is not possible to use the Wedge redirection before or during the Logon session. Although the Wedge service is running at that time, the user needs to logon first in order to use the redirection.